View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bobber & Cafe Racer - which bikes to use? 
Grinding the Handlebars

Post Bobber & Cafe Racer - which bikes to use?
Hey all,

Well I am seriously thinking about getting a bike (or two) to restore. I have a couple of mates who are keen as to jump in and get their hands dirty as well, one of them a mechanic so that would be very helpful (he likes doing electrical/wiring work?!).

So I have a couple of questions - what is the most ideal/sensible bike to look at for a cafe racer build? This is something that one of my mates is keen on, doing a cafe racer. I am thinking something like CB550, or other early CB. Well that is mainly because I was inspired. :mrgreen:
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/ ... -stephens/
But I had a look and can't see any CB550's in Aus? Were they called something else over here, or did we not get them? I saw mention in the "beginners restoration thread" of certain bikes that would have a better final value compared to others if you spent the same restoring them - so that is what I want to be aware of. No point doing a resto if at the end of it no one would care anyway. :lol:

The other question is - what bike would I be looking at for a bobber build? This is one that I am keen on... I am guessing Harley? But I wouldn't know one Harley from another... :-#
This would be one for me to add to the garage, definitely a keeper.

Also I am fairly sure that I will do a CR500 resto. Just because I want a dirt bike, and a 2 stroke - so I figure I'll get two birds with one big smoking stone. :mrgreen:
Another one to add to the garage, everyone has to have a dirt bike, right?!

So now I just have to keep my eyes open for a suitable CR500... and if you could lead me in the right direction for the bobber and cafe racer that would be sweet, then I can keep my eyes peeled...

Cheers :thumb:

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Addict

Post Re: Bobber & Cafe Racer - which bikes to use?
I like the look of the CX500 cafe builds. No idea if they work well or not...

As for the CR500. Yes.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:42 pm
Gunna

CR500s are getting expensive apparently. Good luck mate.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:50 pm
Grinding the Handlebars

yeah i know - CR500... same as any other 2 strokes it seems (RD/RZ, etc.). but I do definitely want a 2 stroke of some type, either way it will be a bit pricey maybe. i was looking recently with a budget of around $2-3k, thinking "oh, old dirt bike should easily be had for that amount". not the CR500. but my aim is to try and stay around that amount for the donor bike, tidy it up and obviously I would expect that there would be some more dollars needing to be spend on parts. but that's the plan, and I'm sticking to it! maybe I ought to buy the CR first up as I guess they will just keep getting more expensive... surely doner bikes for cafe racers and bobbers will not suddenly increase in value massively over the next few years?

on the subject of CR500... is it worth finding the AF model (road registrable)? how much would you be looking at if you then did a motard conversion on a budget...? :-k

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Crash Knobs

For a bobber, you can start with a sportster. I have a mildy worked engine and a bare frame I could be persauded to part with. It is in WA though...

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:33 pm
Grinding the Handlebars

Sportster, eh? :-k
from what I know about bobbers they are defined by a hardtail rear and sprung seat? so these mods are always done by the owners, or did HD ever make a hardtail bike? that would be quite an undertaking... looks like i would learn to weld after all!

say what kinda money do you think you could find a bombed out old Harley for? or can you even find something like that? I just had a quick look on eBay and it seems that the cheapest there is around $5k for a custom frame and wheels. best to look at a wreckers or what?

also in registering a bobber... something tells me this may be problematic in our lovely country... maybe a reason why I have never seen many (any?) at all. so from that point of view would it be better to start with a registered bike before chopping it up, or do such old bikes get special exceptions?

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Crash Knobs

Where to start...

My old sporty was never sold as a rigid, and registering it as such will take a blue slip and engineers report. It can be done but it is expensive and prepared to be dicked around, a lot, by the RTA.
There are frame manufacturers around with rigid set ups, but I know none for sporty engined units as it is a big twin thing.

Cost. About five grand for a basket case is cheap and the rest of the bike should cost from ten to twenty for shiny shit registerable, or..... look around for an old basket case, failed project, etc. Someone who has a rigid with numbers that pass muster would be ideal, but not very likely for under A Lot in the classifieds.

Look, to be brutally honest I would think a lot before executing a plan to make up a rigid bobber for anything under fifteen grand on the cheap. The blue slip is going to cost you a grand before you even start. Old H-D engines worth the effort are getting expensive, and parts are a bit hit and miss although the popular bits are available ex-OEM fairly readily. Wreckers love H-D, as they can charge a good profit margin to the needy. This doesn't help you much.

Or you have a lot of money and I can put you right about some bits and pieces.

Cheers, Pax.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:59 pm
Grinding the Handlebars

oh rightyo, thanks for the info. well that fills in alot of details for me. I think the bobber is a project for some years later... I'll stick to the CR500 resto for now and will let my mates pick up a bike if they want to go ahead with a cafe racer. cheers, that has helped sort things out for me. :thumb:

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Handlebars

Okay I'm back. So another thought... if I want to do a bobber style build on the cheap, what kind of bikes would be suitable? What I mean by 'bobber style' is not modifying frames to hardtail or anything like that (so not even close to a bobber, really), but just stripping back everything that you can. Something with a feet-forward riding position...

I am thinking XS1100 may be a good option as a comfy long distance bike, but that's more of a regular riding position. I just don't know much about older bikes, only what I'm told. So hopefully someone can fill me in?

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Crash Knobs

I wish I had a scanner for you Mugget. The photo's need to be seen to truly understand the depravity. A mad mate of mine once did as you propose on a Virago 1000. It was making bad noises one day when he came to visit so we grenaded it in my front yard. Stretched the conrod bolts on one before letting go and sending the rest of it around the motor in an uncontrolled celebration of destruction. It was necessary you see, as the thing was an abomination.
So I can tell you it has been done with one before.
Personally I reckon an XS 650 boneshaker would be good. SR500 could be made to suit as I reckon at least one person out there has already done it, SR500's do that to people.

My question will still be why? I still ask my mate that too.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:47 pm
Grinding the Handlebars

:rolling:

"The depravity". :lol:
Okay, well - now that you put it like that I see your point. Why? Is just because I like the look of 'em, and I want a cruisy sort of bike, without being a cruiser if you know what I mean. I suppose what I really want is a bobber after all. I'll stop thinking up other crazy ideas and will just have to spend the dollars on a frame modification if I ever want to make it a reality.

Triumph bobber:

They just look good!

Well I had a quick look on BikeSales and eBay for SR500 and XS650, seems like everyone has had the idea to restore them - can't find any old non-running bikes? Or I guess I am looking in all the wrong places? Either way no point in considering it unless I had the cash to do it right.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Crash Knobs

Why resto something that everyone else has restored...go with something out there. You never see too many old kwakas made into cafes or the like...well I never have.

I think any parallel twin will do the trick, it's all the frame mods that make it anyway.

For a bobber, go a DN-01, it's feet forward, v-twin and guaranteed never to be done before.

Riding: '10 Griso SE (Mandy), '95 VFR750 (Lucy), '81 MKIII Le Mans (in pieces), '83 GPz250 Belt Drive (Oh, so close)

Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Handlebars

:rolling: DN-01
well ya know - if I happened across a repairable write-off for cheap... :o

actually maybe it's possible without doing a hardtail... if you can hide the suspension somewhere. I can't tell if the Gixxer Bobber has any rear shock in there?

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Grinding the Crash Knobs

If some bloke can do it to posties, why not find a GN250 and rat it?

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:34 pm
Grinding the Handlebars

GN250? That's a bit small... I mean really - that looks like a cramped riding position...

But I guess move the foot pegs to be attached to the downtube in front of the engine, seat can go down a bit and nearly flat 'bars will give a bit more room...
Actually I still think it would be a bit short. Would need swingarm extension or something.

Also - someone did it to a postie bike? :o

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next